The Parish of Allhallows incorporates the three villages of Baggrow, Fletchertown and Watch Hill, together with the area of Mealsgate known as Pine Grove.
In the early 1870s, William and Isaac Fletcher, two Cockermouth MPs, began sinking the coal mine on the edge of Mealsgate and building Allhallows Colliery, this changed the district of Allhallows Parish for all time. Before the mine was built, the parish population was small, mainly made up of farmers and agricultural workers who worked the land. Except for a few individuals, the farms were owned and managed by landowners who in the main, lived outside the area.
In 1801 the records show, that in the whole of Allhallows Parish only 171 people were recorded. When Fletcher Town was built during the 1870s, there were around 400 people living in the village alone; these people came mainly from nearby parishes, the rest from across the county. Surprisingly not many at that time came from further afield. There had been a few small family-
No mines remain, the Fletchertown pit closing in the 1920’s. The parish is now a rural one, with parishioners mainly working in Carlisle or the nearby West Cumbrian towns.
Mick Jane -
The parish profile, containing statistics about the parish can be found here
ACTion with Communities in Cumbria has brought the data together in a useful report HERE
The Parish of Allhallows