Mealsgate is an old village straddling the main Carlisle road. Only part of the village lies in the Allhallows parish - those sections NW of thte old railway line and the cluster of homes known as Pine Grove. It includes both the old and new churches of Allhallows.
The Railway was built as part of the Bolton Loop Line in 1866, and closed in about 1955. Although only a small village, it did have its own Blacksmith, Pub and a few shops, including a Coop, now all gone. The Memorial Hall was built in 1879 in remembrance of George Moore, Mealsgate’s most distinguished gentleman, who did a lot to improve the lives of so many people. Although this building is now a private home, his legacy still lives on; interest on the money raised from the sale of the property is used to give the older residence of the area a free trip out and a Christmas party each year. They also keep his memory alive by supporting local projects with annual grants. The village still has a small population, but it is convenient to the Lake District National Park.
Mick Jane - Allhallows Community Centre Archive coordinator.